- Explain the analogy of the vine
- What must one do in abide in Jesus'
- Is keeping the commandments (vs. 10)
limited to loving one another (15:12) so that one need
not worry about explicitly obeying the 1aw of Christ? (Jn.
15: 17, Rom. 13:9-10)
- Why did Jesus no longer call the eleven
disciples "servants", i.e., slaves?
- Read verse 20. When had Jesus
previously said, "A servant is not greater
than his lord"?
- What sin woul.d they not have had if
Jesus had not come and spoken to them? (Jn. 15:22, cf.
vss. 18-20, 23ff)
- These words were spoken specifically
to the 11 disciples. Is there anything said in this
chapter which was true only with reference to this group
of men, and not to disciples in general?
- What was involved in being "put
out of the synagogues"? Was it just a matter of
being physically removed from the building, or was there
something more significant involved? (Cf. 9:22, 9:34-35,
- Not only would Jesus' disciples be put
out of the synagogues, but some would even be killed by
Jews who thought themselves to be offering
______________________.(Cf. Acts 26:9-10)
- What had Jesus not told the twelve
from the beginning, and why had he not?
- Why did he tell them these things at
- Jesus said, "But now I go unto
him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, 'Whither
goest thou?"'(16:5); and yet Peter had asked,
"Lord, whither goest thou?"(13:36. cf. 14:5).
In what sense had the disciples not asked, "Whither
- Why could the Comforter not come until
- Who would the Comforter "convict,"
or, convince? How?
- To how much truth would the twelve be
guided by the Spirit? How much new truth does that leave
for later revelations, for example, in the 20th century?
- Jesus said, "and again a little
while, and ye shall see me," (16:16). To what was
Jesus referring? Read carefully, noting the chain of
thought, verses 16-23. Also compare 14:21-23. Also,
consider the fact that the disciples did ask questions of
Jesus between his resurrection and ascension (Acts 1:6).
- Chapter 17 is Jesus' _____________ to
- What is life eternal?
- In what sense did Judas perish?
- Cite at least two statements in this
chapter which clearly teach that the Son existed prior to
the human birth of Jesus.
- List the things for which Jesus prayed
in verses 15-26 and be prepared to explain what is meant