- According to Luke 22:24ff, on this
occasion a contention arose among the disciples
- In contrast to the behavior or the
disciples what did Jesus do? (Jn. 13:3ff)
- Why, and when, were the feet of guests
usually washed? (Gen. 24:31-33; 43:24; Judges 19:21; Luk.
- It would seem that the disciples' feet
had not been washed before the supper (Jn. 13:4). In
light of Luk. 22:24ff, and Jn. 13:14-16, what was very
likely the reason for this?
- What was it that Simon Peter did not
know? (Jn. 13:7, cf. 13:12ff)
- Why did Peter suddenly desire to be
washed all over?
- Why did Jesus say "but not
all"? (Jn. 13:10-11)
- Read Jn. 13:15. Jesus had given his
disciples an example of what?
- On the basis of this passage, some
have concluded that Jesus instituted foot washing as an
act of worship which we should observe in the assembly
much as we do the Lord's Supper. Be prepared to show why
we should, or should not conclude such. Consider another
occasion (Mk. 10:37-41) when Jesus used an object lesson
to combat the same wrong attitude that is seen among the
disciples on this occasion.
- Jesus quoted Psalm 41:9 with reference
to whom? (Jn. 13:18; cf. 13:11, 21-26)
- Read Ps. 41:1-12, especially noting
vs. 4. Is David speaking of treatment he himself had
received, or of the treatment received by the Messiah?
- What period of David's life do these
verses seem to describe and who might have been the
friend mentioned in vs. 9? (Read 1 Chronicles 27:33; 2
Samuel 15:12, 31)
- Study the meaning and significance of
the word "fulfilled" as used in Lk. 22:16 and
compare the quotation of Ps. 22:18 in Jn. 19:24 with the
quotation of Ps. 41:9 in Jn. 13:18.
- Did Jesus' foreknowledge of Judas'
betrayal (Ps. 41:9; Jn. 6:64, 70; 13:11, 18, 21-26)
exculpate Judas? (Mt. 26:24)
- To whom did Simon Peter beckon, and
why? (Jn. 13:23)
- Compare Jn. 13:27 with 13:2, and
explain how Satan "entered into" Judas.
- What did the disciples suppose Jesus
meant by the words, "What thou doest, do
- Note the immediacy with which the
words of verse 31 follow the statement of vs. 30 that
"it was night," and compare the figure of
speech used in Jn. 9:4.
- On verse 33, see 7:33-36.
- What was the new commandment and in
what sense was it new? (Cf. 1 Jn. 2:7-11, Mt. 5:43-47,
Lev. 19:17-18, and Lk. 10:25-37)