- What was the relationship between
Lazarus, Mary, and Martha?
- Of the three, John assumed that his
readers would be familiar with which one?
- John did not relate the incident
mentioned in verse 2 until chapter 12. Why would his
readers have already been familiar with the story? (cf.
Mt. 26:6-13, Mk. 14:3-9)
- What was to be accomplished as a
result of Lazarus' sickness? (Jn. 1:4)
- What did Jesus do when he heard that
Lazarus was sick? (11:6) Why? (11:15)
- Bethany was in what region?
- What danger was involved in going to
- What is the point of Jesus' words in
- What did the disciples think Jesus
meant by "asleep"?
- What was Thomas' attitude? (vs. 16)
- Why did Jesus "groan in the
- Note the differences between the
resurrection of Lazarus and the modern day cases of
legally dead persons who "come back to life."
- Other than those noted in the previous
question, what factor made this a verifiable
resurrection? (Jn. 11:18, 31, 42)
- Why did Jesus say, "Father I
think thee that thou heardest me"?
- What were the chief priests and the
Pharisees concerned about?
- What evidence did the chief priests
and the Pharisees find to deny the resurrection of
- What did Caiaphas mean by his words?
- Were his words of his own choosing?
- What meaning was intended by the
Spirit of God?
- As a result of Caiaphas' words what
did the counsel do?
- What feast was approaching, and what
question was on the mind of the people?