- On what grounds did the Pharisees
reject Jesus' claims, according to 8:13?
- In what sense does Jesus judge no man?
(8:15, note 8:12 and compare Jn. 3:16-21)
- What witness other than himself did
Jesus appeal to in this context?
- Why did the Jews not know where Jesus'
father was? (1:18-19)
- When Jesus spoke of going where the
Jews could not come (8:21), what did the Jews speculate
concerning his meaning?
- Study Jesus' words found in Jn. 8:28.
- What characterizes the true disciple
- In what sense will truth make one free?
(8:32, cf. vs. 34)
- What did the Jews say in response to
the implication that they weren't free?
- In verses 37-39, what distinction does
Jesus make between the words "seed"
("offspring" - NASB) and children"?
- Whose children were these Jews?
- Why did the Jews say "Now we know
that thou hast a demon"?
- What did Jesus imply when he said
"Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day, and he
saw it and was glad"?
- Compare Jn. 8:58 with 8:28. What did
Jesus mean by the statement, "I am," and what
did the Jews understand him to mean? (compare Ex. 3:14)