2 Samuel 6 (also read 1 Chronicles 13, 15-16)
1. According to 1 Chronicles 13:6, what were the two names of the city in which the ark was?
2. What was it doing there (see 1 Samuel 4:1-7:2)?
3. Describe the arrangements that were made to move the ark from this city.
4. What happened to Uzzah and why?
5. In whose house did the ark remain for 3 months?
6. Describe David's reaction to the homecoming of the ark.
7. Describe Michal's reaction to David's reaction.
8. By whose hand did David ordain that thanks be given unto God?
9. Thanks for what?
2 Samuel 7
1. What comparison did David make between his house and the place in which the ark of God was kept?
2. When David made his thoughts known to Nathan, how did the prophet respond?
3. Was Nathan's original response the word of God?
4. What was God's response?
5. Had God been wanting someone to build a house of cedar for Him?
6. What lesson can we learn from God's words in 2 Samuel 7:7? Is it wise for us to think up ways of worshipping that God hasn't commanded?
7. Read 2 Samuel 7:12-16. Of whom were these words spoken, according to 1 Chronicles 22:6-11?
8. The last part of Hebrews 1:5 is a quotation from what verse in 2 Samuel 7? (Hint: It's after verse 12 and before verse 16.)
9. According to Hebrews 1:5, Of whom were those words in 2 Samuel 7:14 spoken?
10. Did the words apply to both Solomon, and Jesus?
In the table below, see how each of the phrases in the left column can be understood of both Solomon and Jesus.
|2 Samuel 7:12-15||
|I will raise up your descendant after you||1 Chron 22:9||Lk 1:32|
|I will establish his kingdom||1 Chron 22:10||Mk 1:15
Acts 1:6 8:12
|He shall build a house for My name||1 Chron 22:10||Zech 6:12
1 Pt. 2:5
|I will be a father to him and he will be a son to Me||1 Chron 22:10||Psalm 2:7
Heb. 1:5 (quotes both Psalm 2:7 and 2 Sam 7:14)
|when he commits iniquity
||1 Kings 11:1-8||2 Cor 5:20-21|
|I will correct him with the rod of men and the strokes of the sons of men||1 Kings 11:14-25||Mt. 27:27-44|
|but my lovingkindness shall not depart from him as I took it away from Saul||1 Kings 11:12