2 Kings 1-2
Ahaziah: King of Israel
1. Who was Ahaziah's father?
2. What happened in Ahaziah's upper chamber?
3. Ahaziah's messengers were sent to Baal-zebub to fine out if Ahaziah would recover. What and where was Baal-zebub?
4. Who met Ahaziah's messengers, and what message did he tell them to give Ahaziah?
5. Did the messengers know who it was that had met them?
6. How did Ahaziah find out who had met his messengers?
7. Tell what happened to the first two groups of fifty soldiers that Ahaziah went to Elijah. 8. Tell what happened when the third group of fifty soldiers and their captain came to Elijah.
9. Who succeeded Ahaziah as King of Israel, and who was the father of this man?
10. Do 2 Kings 1:2 and 1 Corinthians 10:19-20 help to you to better understand Matthew 12:22-27? Explain.
Elijah and John
11. Malachi prophecied about 400 B.C. Was this before, or after, the time of Elijah?
12. Who did the Lord say would come before the "great and terrible day of the Lord"? (Malachi 4:5)
13. At the time of Jesus, were the Jews expecting the fulfillment of Malachi 4:5? (John 1:19-21, Matthew 16:13-14) 14. Through the prophet Malachi, the Lord said the Elijah who was yet to come would do what? (Malachi 4:6)
15. Before John was born to Zacharias and Elizabeth, it was said that he would go in whose spirit and power?
16. It was said that he would do what? (Luke 1:16-17)
17. When John was grown and became known as "John the Baptist" (or rather, "John the Baptizer"), what was his appearance? (Matthew 3:4) Does his appearance remind you of anything?
18. Read Matthew 11:7-15 and 17:1-13 and be prepared to explain how Malachi 4:5-6 was fulfilled.
Elijah's Departure and Successor
19. Who was with Elijah, and why? (2 Kings 2:1, 1 Kings 19:19-21)
20. What was God going to do with Elijah? (2 Kings 2:1 5)
21. Why didn't Elijah and Elisha get wet while crossing the Jordan River?
22. What fell to Elisha as Elijah was taken up?
23. How did Elisha get back across the Jordan?
24. The "sons of the prophets" wanted the servants to look for what?
25. What miracles described in chapter two demonstrated that "the spirit of Elijah rested on Elisha?
26. What did the boys mean when they said, "Go up, you baldhead"?
27. What happened to the boys?
2 Kings 3:1-8:15
Jehoram: King of Israel
1. Who was king of Judah when
Jehoram began his reign in Israel?
2. What alternative spelling for Jehoram is found in the Old Testament? (see 2 Kings 9:14-15, 29)
3. What kind of king was Jehoram of Israel, good or evil?
4. What had the king of Moab been doing before Jehoram became king?
5. Why did he stop?
6. What ally did Jehoram enlist to help him fight Moab?
7. Why did Jehoshaphat ask for a prophet?
8. In what way did the king of Israel show less faith than a Syrian captain and a displaced Israelite slave girl?
9. Describe the severity of conditions in Samaria when the Syrians laid siege to the city.
10. Whom did Jehoram hold responsible for these conditions? (6:30)
11. Whom did Elisha call a "son of a murderer"?
12. Who was the murderer?
13. Be familiar with the events related in chapter 7 and the first 15 verses of chapter 8.