1 Kings 15:1-22
Asa, King of Judah
1. Who reigned in Judah after Rehoboam, and how long did he reign?
2. Who was the next king in Judah? Who was his father? Was he a descendant of David?
3. In the beginning of his reign, did he do evil or good?
4. Read 2 Chronicles 14 & 16, and 1 Kings 15:16-22.
a. When the Ethiopians came against Asa, who had the largest army?
b. How many chariots were there in the Ethiopian force?
c. Who won the war, and why?
d. Who was king of Israel at this time?
e. Against whom did the king of Israel wage war?
f. What city did Baasha fortify?
g. Find this city on a map of the Divided Kingdom. On the basis of the geographical location of this city, can you see why the king of Judah would have been concerned?
h. Did Asa look for help from same source as he did when the Ethiopians came up against him?
i. Ben-Hadad was king of what country? Locate this country on your map.
j. How did Asa convince Ben-Hadad to attack the cities of Israel?
k. What effect did Ben-Hadad's attack have on Baasha's fortification of Ramah?
l. List the cities that Ben-Hadad attacked. Locate them on your map. Can you see why Ben-Hadad's attack would have helped Asa?
m. From a military point of view, did Asa's plan seem like a good one?
n. What prophet came to see Asa?
o. What had been wrong with Asa's strategy?
p. What illness did Asa have late in his life, and what did he NOT do about it?
1 Kings 15:25-16:28
Kings of Israel: Nadab, Baasha, Elah, Zimri, & Omri
1. Who was Nadab's father?
2. Was Nadab a righteous king?
3. How did his reign come to an end?
4. In killing Jeroboam's family, Baasha fulfilled the prophecy spoken by whom?
5. We remember Baasha for his slaughter of Jeroboam's household, and for his wars with what king of Judah?
6. What was to become of Baasha family and why?
7. Who reigned after Baasha death?
8. Who was a commander of chariots during Elah's reign?
9. How did Elah's reign come to an end?
10. What prophecy was fulfilled through Zimri?
11. How long did Zimri reign and how did his reign come to an end?
12. Half of the people recognized Tibni as Zimri's successor, but whom did the rest of the people follow?
13. Which of these two men prevailed and became king over the whole of Israel?
14. Up until the reign of Omri, what two cities had served as the capital of Israel?
15. What city did Omri build as the new capital?
16. Who was Omri's son and successor?
17. Were any of the kings studied in this lesson described as righteous?
1 Kings 16:29-17:24
Ahab: King of Israel
1. Who became king of Israel when Omri died?
2. How long had Asa been reigning in Judah when Ahab became king in Israel?
3. In what city did Ahab reign?
4. Ahab married a woman from what place? What was her name, and what was her religion?
5. Did Ahab teach her to worship the true God instead of idols?
6. IN CLASS RESEARCH PROJECT: "ASHERAH"
7. What do you know about the history of the city of Jericho? (If you are not familiar with the story of the destruction of Jericho, read Joshua 2 & 6.)
8. What had been said about Jericho after it was destroyed? (Joshua 6:26)
9. What did Hiel the Bethelite do?
10. What did Elijah say about rain in 1 Kings 17:1?
11. How did the Lord provide for Elijah while he lived by the brook Cherith?
12. Describe the wonders that Elijah worked in the sight of the widow of Zarephath.
13. What conclusion did she draw from these things?
1 Kings 18-19
Ahab: King of Israel (continued)
1. To whom was Elijah to show himself?
2. What is a famine and what had caused the famine in Israel?
3. When Elijah met Ahab, what did Ahab say to him?
4. What was Elijah's response?
5 The people, under the influence of Ahab and Jezebel, had begun to worship Baal. Describe the contest between Baal and the true God which Elijah proposed.
6 When the prophets of Baal had gotten no response from their god by noon, Elijah began to make fun of them by offering various explanations for Baal's inattentiveness. List these explanations.
7. After this, what drastic measures did the prophets of Baal take to get Baal's attention. Did they succeed?
8. When it was Elijah's turn to call upon the true God, what did he first do to the offering make the miracle that was about to happen even more impressive?
9. What finally happened to the prophets of Baal?
10. Did the outcome of this contest cause Ahab and Jezebel to repent?
11. What did Jezebel resolve to do about Elijah? Explain exactly what is meant by the words of Jezebel recorded in 1 Kings 19:2.
12. Where did Elijah hide? Read 1 Kings 19:10 and 19:14, and explain how Elijah felt.
13. In fact, how many were there in Israel who, like Elijah, had refused to worship Baal?
14. What was the name of the man who joined Elijah, and upon whom Elijah put his mantle?
1 Kings 20
Ahab: King of Israel (continued)
1. Who was the king of Syria?
2. What city did the Syrians besiege?
3. The city was the capital of what kingdom?
4. What did Benhadad want? (20:3)
5. Did Ahab say he would give these things to Benhadad?
6. What more did Benhadad say he wanted? (20:6)
7. Did Ahab agree to this?
8. What did Benhadad threaten to do to Samaria? (20:10)
9. Explain Ahab's reply. (20:11)
10. Who was victorious in the first battle, and why?
11. What did the Syrians believe was the explanation for their defeat?
12. How did the Syrians think they could defeat the Israelites?
13. Who won the second battle?
15. Why was God giving these victories to Israel? (20:28)
16. After two defeats, what did Benhadad decide to do?
17. What were the conditions of Ahab's agreement with Benhadad?
18. Explain why the man was killed by a lion. What lesson do we learn here?
19. Why did the prophet wish to be struck?
20. What point did the prophet wish to make to Ahab?
1 Kings 21-22
Ahab: King of Israel (continued)
____ two base men ("sons of Belial")
|A) an idol
B) the wicked wife of the king
C) the good king
D) the city where Naboth lived
E) the wicked king
F) The capital of Israel
G) They falsely accused Naboth of blaspheming God and the king
FILL IN THE BLANKS
Naboth owned a _________________ which Ahab coveted. Ahab offered to give Naboth either ____________________ or _________________ in return for it. Naboth rejected the offer because the land had been handed down to him as an inheritance from his fathers. (Note Lev. 25:33.) _______ pouted and refused to ______. _____________ wrote letters in Ahab's name to the ____________ and ____________ in the city of _______________ commanding them to have Naboth falsely accused and then to __________ him as punishment. After ____________ was dead, Ahab went to take possession of the vineyard and was met by ___________. The prophet told him that he, his wife, and all his children would be killed. Then Ahab ________ his clothes and put ________________ on himself and he _______________________________. Because Ahab ____________ himself before the Lord, the complete fulfillment of the things spoken by the prophet was delayed until __________________________ .
1. In the fourth year of Ahab's reign in Israel, who became King of Judah?
2. The Syrians had possession of what city?
3. Who's idea was it to go and take Ramoth-Gilead from the Syrians?
4. Whom did Jehoshaphat suggest that they consult before going into battle?
5. How many prophets did Ahab gather, and what did they say would be the outcome of the battle?
6. Was Jehoshaphat satisfied with the word of these prophets?
7. Did Jehoshaphat believe that the word spoken by these prophets was the word of God?
8. Who was the true prophet of God for whom Ahab finally sent?
9. Why had Ahab been reluctant to send for him?
10. What did Ahab's messenger tell Micaiah to say?
11. What was Micaiah's response to the messenger?
12. What did Micaiah first tell Ahab about the outcome of the proposed battle?
13. Why did Ahab not believe Micaiah? (22:16, cf. 22:8)
14. What did Micaiah finally say abut the outcome of the battle?
15. The sheep represented whom?
16. The missing shepherd represented whom?
____ 1. Ahab wore his royal robes, but Jehoshaphat disguised himself.
____ 2. The Syrians were not especially interested in killing Ahab.
____ 3. The Syrians chased Jehoshaphat because they thought he was Ahab.
____ 4. Not realizing their mistake, they killed Jehoshaphat.
1. Explain how Ahab was killed.
2. 1 Kings 22:38 records the fulfillment of the word of the Lord which had been spoken earlier and recorded in what verse of chapter 21?
3. Who became king of Israel after Ahab?